Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure in which the hair follicles are removed from the donor area and planted on the receipt site. Usually, the back and sides of the head (occiput) is considered to be the donor area, and the thinning or balding areas of the scalp (frontal) called the receipt area. This is a lifelong sustaining process because the hair follicles taken from the back of the head are genetically resistant to baldness, regardless of where they are relocated or planted. This is the most sought after procedure today to regain one’s lost hair.
Hence, hair transplant is a permanent medical solution to hair loss problems.
There are two methods of hair transplant: FUE & FUT. FUE is the most common and popular hair transplantation
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT):
FUT is one of the oldest methods and also known as the strip method of hair transplantation. In this technique, the strip of scalp hairs are removed from the backside of the head and the wound is closed using sutures or staples. As the excised strip is dissected into individual follicular grafts using a stereomicroscope and then implanted to the receipt site one by one.It leaves a linear scar behind the head which is not cosmetically accepted.
Follicular unit extraction (FUE): This technique is the most popular and advanced hair transplant surgery done for male or female pattern baldness. It is a minimally invasive hair transplantation technique, which involves removing or extraction of the individual follicular unit directly from the back of scalp using specialized machines and implanting or grafting them one-by-one into the bald/thinning (previously made slits by small needle) areas of the head. Though it is a time-consuming process but avoids linear scars like FUT. Hence the advances in the concept of using follicular unit grafts have evolved to give you natural-looking and undetectable hair transplants results.
Herewith, we at Hair Rich & Clear Skin perform only FUE hair transplant.
Mostly the donor sites are back and sides of the head, though beard hair, body hairs and axillary or pubic hairs are also can be taken to restore the severe baldness.Back and sides of the head (occipital and temporal areas) remain unaffected by baldness, as these hairs are not genetically susceptible to the action of DHT.
Advantages of FUE over FUT:
· FUE is minimally invasive.
· Absolutely natural-looking or undetectable hair transplant.
·, Unlike FUT, the hair follicles can be harvested from other unusual areas like beard or body.
· Scars are not visible and heal well with small dots, unlike FUT linear scar.
· Donor site heals well with small dots, which your existing hair will cover.
· Complications during the procedure are very minimal.
· Post-post-operative pain is little.
· Can resume their daily activities soon after the surgery.
Postoperative Instructions for FUE:
As the hair transplant is performed under local anesthesia. The post-operative discomfort will be minimal. Take the prescribed medicine regularly to prevent infection for 5 to 7 days.
IMMEDIATELY POST OP
· A spray bottle and normal saline are given; spray the transplanted and the donor area every hour for the first 12 hours, while doing this place some towels around your shoulders.
· Do not try to touch the transplanted hair
· Drink plenty of water during this time and take fluids or juices.
· Do not drive the vehicle immediately after surgery.
· Immediately after surgery, the surgical area (donor & receipt area) may be little soreness, swelling, numbness, and dizziness, or little oozing or bleeding, don’t get panic.
DAY 1 TODAY 3
· After surgery, during these days, spray 1-2 hourly while you are awake.
· Spraying of normal saline prevents scab formation on the transplanted and donor area. The transplanted grafts need to be kept hydrated, as, this is essential for their survival.
· Attend the clinic on 3rd day for shampooing.
DAY 4- DAY 14
· On day 4, you can start mild or a tea tree shampoo regime on day 4
· Take a clean bowl with luke-warm water and add 10 ml of shampoo, mix it up till it is soapy and pour the solution over the transplanted area and the donor area, and rinse off with plain luke-worm and pat gently with a clean towel. Advise once a day till day 14.
· Allow drying the hair naturally, do not try to dry the hair with a towel or blower dry your hair.
· It is advisable to avoid strenuous physical activity for 2 weeks postoperatively.
DAY 14 AND AFTER
· Start using minoxidil after day 14 to enhance the growth, only at night till 6 months.
· You may return to your normal hair washing with the previous shampoo, wash the hair vigorously using both hands this will remove any crusts in the area.
AFTER 3 WEEKS
· After 3 weeks, the hair will start to shed, being a normal sign.
· At 3 to 4 weeks, you may get your hair cut, color your hair, and resume using products like gels and hair sprays.
· Between 3-6 months, the hair will start growing from the implanted area.
Hair transplantation is a procedure where the permanent hair follicles from the back and sides of the head(donor area) are relocated at the thinning or balding areas of the scalp(receipt area). This is a lifelong sustaining process because the hair follicles taken from the back of the head are genetically resistant to baldness, regardless of where they are relocated to. This is the most sought after procedure today to regain one’s lost hairline.
Hair Transplantation is permanent, is a relatively simple outpatient surgery done under local anesthesia and the transplanted hair grows like natural hair for a lifetime.
Clear Skin Hair & Laser Centre has one of the very few teams specializing in FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) methods of hair transplantation. We have a specially designed Operation Theatre and we use the Digital microscope in the lab for hair grafts, which is the benchmark for quality in hair transplantation.
Q: What is Baldness?
A: In male-pattern baldness thick hair is turned into small thin hair. This is called miniaturization. Frontal hairs are lost earlier than the hair on the back of the scalp.
Q: What are the treatments for Baldness?
A:• Medical treatment
• Surgical treatments-FUT/FUE
• Scalp Reduction /Expansion surgeries
• Flap surgeries
Q: What is Medical treatment & Mesotherapy?
A: The Standard cocktail of topical minoxidil, antioxidants & finasteride is advised before & after hair transplantation for varying length of time. Scalp PRP Mesotherapy is advised before & after transplantation to induce growth of hair roots.
For those who are not candidates for hair transplantation, hair growth is maintained by medical treatment and mesotherapy.
Q: What is Hair transplantation?
A: Hair transplantation is the surgical technique that involves moving hair follicles from one part of the body (the donor site) to bald or balding parts (the recipient site). Usually, the occipital scalp is the donor area, from which hair follicle units are transplanted to the frontal area.
Q: Who are candidates for hair transplant?
A: Any male/female in good health.
• Adult above 23 years
• Stabilised hair loss
• Medical treatment tried without success
• No active scalp infection.
• Adequate hair available on back & side of the scalp
• No smoking, no alcohol two weeks before surgery
• No diabetes/hypertension
• Reasonable expectation.
Objectives of hair transplantation.
• To recreate the hairline
• More extensive hair replacement
• To add density to existing transplant
• To correct transplanted hairline if you are not happy with previous surgery
During a consultation at Clear Skin, Dr. Kailash will discuss in detail about your hair loss pattern, the extent of baldness, available donor area, plan of the hairline, number of grafts required, etc. Investigations
• Hemogram blood sugar level
• Bleeding time, clotting time
• Routine Urine analysis
• Additional tests if required
Q: What are the options in hair transplants?
A:• Punch grafts (10-20 Hair / Graft)-outdated
• Mini grafts (3 to 5 Hair / Graft)
• Micro grafts (1 to 2 Hair / Graft)
• Single hair graft (1 hair )
• Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)
• Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
Clear Skin Hair & Laser Centre is specialized in Follicular Unit Hair Transplant (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction(FUE) which is the best available method to give the most natural look.
Q:When is the ideal time for a hair transplant?
A:The ideal time varies from person to person depending on the age, the severity of hair loss, the progression of hair loss, failure of medical treatments, etc.,
Q:How much time does it take for the surgery?
A:The time varies depending upon the number of grafts to be transplanted and is usually between 4-8 hrs.
Q:Does the hair transplant procedure painful?
A:Patients are given local anesthesia in the donor and recipient areas. Most patients find that once the anesthesia is given that they feel no pain or discomfort during the surgery. Following surgery, patients will typically feel some amount of numbness.
Q:How soon after the procedure can I get back to work?
A:You can go back to work between 2-5 days after hair transplant in case of FUT(strip) and the next day in case of FUE.
Q:When will my newly transplanted hair start to grow?
A:Normally it takes 3-6 months following surgery. The transplanted hair grows very thin initially and gradually grows thicker and fuller over time. After a year the transplanted hair will fully mature and continue to grow for a long time.
Q:Can females undergo hair transplants?
A:Hair transplantation can be done both in men and women. The method adopted may be different based upon the severity and pattern of hair loss.
Q:Can I comb or cut or shave my hair as normal persons do?
A:Yes, the transplanted hair is your own natural growing hair. You can get them cut or shave. They will grow back. Transplanted hair usually will stay a lifetime.
Q: What is follicular hair transplant ?
(FUT) A: Most of the hair follicles in scalp are naturally grouped together in units of 1, 2, or 3 hair, called follicular units. Transplantation of follicular units gives the most natural look after surgery. It is done in the following steps
• Harvesting the donor hair graft from the back of the scalp.
• Separation of the follicular units containing 1, 2, or 3 hair.
• Recipient sites are created in the bald area by slits by a needle.
• Placement of the grafts in the recipient area.
• Closure of the donor site on the back of the scalp by a suture that is not at all visible in hair.
After 3 to 4 months transplanted hair begins to grow and continues to grow a half-inch per month for the rest of your life.
Q: What is FUE?
A:It is a method of extracting or harvesting donor hair for transplantation. In FUE, a single follicular unit is extracted from donor area/ transplanted one at a time at the recipient site where they grow into the healthy hair-producing follicle.
Q: Precautions before Hair Transplant Surgery?
A: Pre-Operation Instruction
Maintain an adequate length of hair on the back of your head as grafts will be removed from here.
Two weeks before surgery
No minoxidil, aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications containing aspirin, vitamin E, One day before surgery No alcohol/tobacco.
On surgery day
Wash your hair in the morning using your regular shampoo. Have a light breakfast two hours prior to your procedure. Wear loose & comfortable Cloths, no T-Shirts, no gold ornaments, no deodorant & Perfume. You should also bring a scarf along with you. Have someone take you home after surgery. You should not drive any vehicle after Surgery.
Q: Is it painful?
A: Pain is negligible and often described as a slight discomfort. It is very minimal and lasts only a few days. 50 % of our patients do not require any pain relievers, but if required one can take a simple pain killer for one or two days.
Q: How many sessions of surgery will I need?
A: A single mega session is usually enough to satisfy most of the patient’s needs. Those with extensive baldness may require 2 -3 sessions. Correct evaluation & estimation is possible after personal consultation.
Q: How long it will take to cover bald areas after transplant?
A: 6 months to start showing re-growth. It takes 9 to 10 months to show full growth.
Q: Clear Skin Hair & Laser Centre Protocol of a hair transplant?
• Hair transplant
• Maintenance on medicines & PRP Mesotherapy
Objectives of hair transplantation.
To recreate hairline
More extensive hair replacement
To add density to existing transplant
To correct the transplanted hairline if you are not happy with previous surgery
During a consultation at Clear Skin Centre, Dr.N.Kailash will discuss in detail about your hair loss pattern, the extent of baldness, available donor area, plan of the hairline, number of grafts required, etc.
Hemogram blood sugar level
Bleeding time, clotting time
Routine Urine analysis
Additional tests if required
Clear Skin Hair & Laser Centre Advantage for Hair transplant?
A hair transplant is essentially a manual procedure. It requires a tremendous eye to hands co-ordination & time. It is teamwork. Clear Skin Centre has a perfect team of hair transplant surgeons & technicians. The speed and quality of transplant at Clear Skin Centre are amazing and the team is able to put up to 2500 and above hair grafts in a session. It is one of the highest counts among hair transplant centers across the world. Clear Skin Hair & Laser Centre expertise & experience make it to stand out as a preferred hair transplant destination.