Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
Most women after pregnancy and men during puberty suffer from stretch marks; and everyone desire to have stretch-marks free skin. There is no denying fact that stretch marks can turn out to be quite annoying in some. Though, the advance medical treatment can cost a fortune. Thankfully, there are various natural products that can help reduce stretch marks and lighten them and found in your kitchen!
What are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks are the linear stripes or uneven lines that usually occur during pregnancy on belly and breasts or over hips, shoulders, legs & inner thighs or knees when they grow in size faster than the skin natural elasticity. However, due to this sudden skin stretch, the elasticity of skin tears causing the formation of whitish, pinkish, or purple lines.
Stretch marks initially appear pinkish or purple in color and later look white or silver in color.
What are the causes of Stretch marks?
Stretch marks can occur on anyone’s body. Here are the following causes of stretch marks:
Common physiological causes:
· Pregnancy: while pregnancy the belly area is enlarged unusually which stretches the skin to its limit and after delivery, it gets back to its original state, and leave stretch marks due to loss of elasticity.
· Weight gain: due to unhealthy eating lifestyles or medical conditions, we are supposed to gain weight rapidly. The sudden increase in size, the skin again expands to accommodate the additional size, loses some elasticity because of which stretch marks appear.
· Weight loss: sudden loss of weight leaves stretch marks due to loss of elasticity.
· Puberty: the children grow very abruptly during puberty in height as well as weight. This rapid growth puts pressure on the skin and the stretch marks appear on the back, knees, shoulder area, or belly.
Other medical conditions:
· Systemic overuse of steroid.
· Cushing syndrome
· Hormonal imbalance
· Topical use of corticosteroid creams
· Marfan syndrome
· Ehlers- Danlos syndrome
Stretch marks are formed if a particular body part undergoes extreme expansion or contraction. Due to the sudden episode, the skin on returning to its original state, it fails to regain the previous elasticity. Hence it results in linear stripes or uneven lines, which are initially reddish in color and later becomes white.
What are the home remedies for stretch marks?
While it is advisable to take an expert skin professional opinion to get scientific results, you can try some home remedies that can help to reduce stretch marks and have beautiful skin.
Let us know a few of the effective home remedies to reduce stretch marks:-
Aloe vera has fantastic healing properties and thus helps to regenerate skin. Take the fresh gel from the leaf and massage over stretch marks area and leave on for 20-30 minutes, subsequently wash with luke-worm water.
Egg whites have lots of collagen, VItamin A, proteins that repair your skin and retain elasticity. Using egg whites for 15 minutes over the stretch marks can give firmness to the skin and reduce the marks.
Sugar works as a natural microdermabrasion to remove the dead layer of skin. Take one cup of sugar and add one-fourth cup of almond oil and mix some lemon juice. Scrub it for 10 minutes to the affected area before going to the shower. This should be done 4 to 5 times a week for a period of 1 month.
Raw organic honey (unfiltered and unprocessed) can help to reduce stretch marks. It contains a high level of antibacterial activity, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, enzymes and helps to hydrate the skin. Massage gently a very small amount of it into the skin just before bedtime and wash it off in the morning with lukewarm water.
5.Lemon and Cucumber juice. While lemon is acidic in nature and cucumber juice provides the cool soothing effect leaving your skin fresh. Mix lime and cucumber juice in equal parts, and apply on the affected areas for 10 minutes, subsequently rinse it off using like-warm water.
6.Cocoa Butter The use of cocoa butter can help reduce and fade the stretch marks. Massage it over the skin at night time for a period of time to find the result.
7. Almond and Coconut Oil or Castor oil: As stretch marks dried, shriveled up look, need nourishment and moisture. Castor oil alone or almond and coconut oil in equal quantities, massage onto the skin will help heal and smoothen the marks slowly.
8. Nourishing Skin Mask: You can have an incredible effect in reducing stretch marks
Mix the following ingredients well
2 egg yolks, beaten
One lemon juice
2tsp almond paste
2tsp oatmeal and
milk, to form a smooth and soft paste.
Apply on the affected marks and let it dry completely. Wash gentle scrubbing with cold water, to be done on alternate days